Argan oil - the king among oils. Just a few drops and it turns your hair into a gem. Discover the secret of this extraordinary hair oil.
There are various hair oils, castor, jojoba, marula, and more, but only one is the king of all hair oils - argan oil. It is not for nothing that many traditional beauty secrets are based on argan oil, which for centuries has helped the health and beauty of the skin and especially the hair - which is probably the reason why it earned the nickname "liquid gold". Wondering what argan oil can do for your hair? A better question might be, "What doesn't he know?"! Read on to find out what the secret of argan oil is, how it benefits the hair, why it is one of the most expensive oils in the world, how to recognize quality argan oil for hair, and how to use it correctly.
What Is Argan Oil?
Argan oil (INCI:Arganosa Spinosa Kernel Oil) belongs to the most expensive and rarest oils in the world. It is obtained from the fruits of the thorny argan tree (Moroccan argan tree) found only in Morocco and the westernmost Algeria, which is why it is sometimes called oil from Morocco. Its limited availability, demanding processing method, high content of active substances and golden color earned it the name "Moroccan gold". The beneficial effects of argan oil are known all over the world, it has become very popular as a main component of skin and hair cosmetics for its significant moisturizing and hydrating effects and also thanks to the fact that it can replace several cosmetic products at once.
Depending on the method used, two types of argan oil can be obtained: food grade or cosmetic. The cosmetic argan oil we are talking about here is prepared from unroasted kernels, has a golden color, liquid texture, indistinct smell and is intended for application directly to the skin or hair or as an ingredient in other cosmetic products. Argan oil is composed of unsaturated fatty acids (80%), mainly oleic and linoleic acids, and saturated acids (20%). It is rich in antioxidants (vitamin E and polyphenols), which helps to hydrate hair and skin, prevent moisture loss and neutralize free radicals, protect against UV radiation, and thus prevent cell degradation and slow down their aging. In the cosmetics industry, argan oil is also used in the treatment of skin diseases, eczema, acne, and burns.
Why Is Argan Oil a Miracle for Hair?
Are you wondering what wonders argan oil can do for your hair? A better question might be: "What miracles can't he do?". Argan oil has beneficial effects on hair from the inside and outside. Hydrates, moisturizes, adds shine, protects against breakage, improves elasticity, protects against humidity, regulates oiliness, neutralizes free radicals and much more. However, its greatest benefit is its unrivaled moisturizing effect on the hair!
Here are the biggest benefits of argan oil for hair:
Hydration - compared to other oils, argan oil has smaller molecules, so it can better penetrate the hair and deliver hydration from the inside out. In addition, it has the ability to lock this hydration in the hair, which ensures really long-lasting hydration. It has also been found (International Journal of Trichology 2015) that hair absorbs saturated and monounsaturated oils (like argan oil) better than polyunsaturated oils (like sunflower oil). This allows it to penetrate the hair better and reduce the amount of water it absorbs - meaning it also prevents frizz (just add that to the long list of reasons why this hair oil is so great).
Smoothness, flexibility and shine - thanks to the high content of antioxidants, essential fatty acids and vitamin E, argan oil helps to significantly increase the hair's elasticity, softness, smoothness and restore its lost shine. When hair is softer and more flexible, it is also less prone to tangling and more manageable.
Prevention of damage and breakage - the exceptional composition of argan oil can also significantly help to keep hair healthy and prevent damage. Whether we realize it or not, we do a lot of damage to our hair with daily pollution, chemical treatments and hot tools. Vitamin E, which is contained in argan oil, is essential for the health of our hair, as its rich antioxidant properties help to neutralize free radical damage to hair and protect hair from damage, splitting, breakage, according to some studies, it can also provide protection against UV radiation. This means that the hair will be healthier.
Regulating oiliness - yes, it's a bit strange that an "oily" hair oil can fight excess oil, but the high oleic acid content of argan oil also has a regulating effect on sebum production. In addition, thanks to its soothing and anti-inflammatory properties, it helps relieve itching and even help with dandruff. So whether you suffer from dandruff or dry scalp, argan oil is a wonderful product to improve its overall health. (Tip! Try the healing treatment with argan oil for dry or oily skin from the MoroccanOil Scalp) range.
Argan Oil & Hair Type
Argan oil can generally be used on most hair types, but you may need to apply it differently or use a different type of argan oil depending on your needs. 100% pure argan oil is ideal for thick, curly or thick hair types. What about fine hair? If you have fine hair or hair that tends to get oily, 100% pure argan oil could weigh your hair down unless used sparingly. However, sometimes it is difficult to estimate the right measure. But don't worry, that doesn't mean you can't use argan oil at all. It's just that you will probably be more comfortable with a lighter composition of oil elixirs containing argan oil (eg Milk_Shake Argan Glistening Oil, Maria Nila True Soft Argan Oil or a lighter version of the iconic argan oil treatment Moroccan Oil Treatment Light).
How To Use Argan Oil?
Now that you know how argan oil benefits your hair and what type it is suitable for, let's now explain how to use it so you don't waste a drop of it! There are many ways to use argan oil on your hair. It is wonderful as a hair mask, leave-in care, pre-shampoo care, heat protection or styling product. It is up to you how you use the benefits of argan oil. But remember one thing. Although you might be tempted to cover yourself in it from head to toe, don't (remember: it's not cheap), a few drops really are all you need. Start with a smaller amount and add gradually.
Hair mask - hair mask is great, especially if you have damaged hair. Using argan oil as a deep treatment helps to hydrate and restore hair. Use a sufficient amount of oil when applying, 6 to 8 drops should be enough for most hair types. You should leave the hair mask on for 15-30 minutes, but the longer the better the results. For best results, leave the mask on overnight. Then wash your hair as usual. Use this treatment best once or as needed.
Hair oil (leave-in care) - of course you can use argan oil as a regular hair oil as a leave-in care. Place a few drops in your palms and use your fingers to apply to wet or dry hair through the lengths and ends whenever you're looking for extra hydration, shine, protection or frizz control.
Styling and heat protection - argan oil can also help you with styling, as it nourishes and provides great slip, making styling easier. And that's not all! It can also be used to protect hair from hot tools and hair dryers, as it can withstand higher temperatures than other oils. It's no wonder that many heat sprays also contain argan oil.
For the scalp - as we explained above, argan oil is a great way to soothe and moisturize the scalp. Simply massage the oil into your scalp to relieve dandruff, inflammation or general itching. Massaging the scalp will ensure that the argan oil penetrates deep into the scalp, which is helpful in treating dandruff or itchy scalp. As a soothing treatment, she recommends using 100% pure argan oil.
How To Recognize High-Quality Argan Oil?
Argan oil is praised by everyone as a miracle in hair care, but how do you know the good one? For 100% pure oils, look at the color (it should have a golden tint if it is too light, it was probably mixed with other oils), smell (should have no distinct smell, practical almost none or just slightly "nutty") and label (as 100% argan oil). The price can also tell you. This is because argan oil is quite expensive, although you can find cheaper versions, they probably won't be good quality, and quality is key to getting the most out of its hair benefits.
When it comes to using the oil in shampoos, conditioners, and other hair products, you'll know if argan oil is the star of the product if it's listed as one of the first ingredients on the label.
The Best Hair Care with Argan Oil!
Are you ready to incorporate argan oil into your hair care routine? Here are popular argan oil hair products to add to your wish list. You can choose either 100% pure argan oil, which has multifunctional effects and can be used both on hair, skin and body, or hair oil, which is based on argan oil, but also contains other ingredients. The last type are various hair products, such as shampoos, masks, conditioners, etc., which are enriched with argan oil.
1) 100% Pure Argan Oil
Looking for affordable, high-quality argan oil that you can use for anything? The following oils contain only 100% pure argan oil and can be used for all your beauty needs. Use it during your hair care routine and try to incorporate it into your skin care routine as well.
2) Hair Oil With Argan Oil
- MoroccanOil Treatment - who doesn't know this cult argan oil treatment that has been a bestseller for over 10 years! The oil can be used as a care, styling or final preparation. Moreover, it smells so good that the brand regularly releases a candle with the same scent! Do you have fine hair? No problem! For you, the brand has created a special lightweight version MoroccanOil Treatment Light.
- Redken All Soft Argan-6 Oil - do you prefer all-in-one products? Then this multifunctional moisturizing hair oil with argan oil and omega-6 will be the real deal, especially if you have dry, brittle and brittle hair. It can handle absolutely everything, from care to styling.
- Milk_Shake Argan Glistening Oil - do you have thick hair, fine hair or hair that is somewhere in between? This argan oil treatment is suitable for all hair types.
- Maria Nila True Soft Argan Oil - do you prefer a vegan composition? discover nourishing and softening 100% vegan hair oil with argan oil for dry and brittle hair. Without parabens, sulfates and phthalates. It is quickly absorbed, does not weigh down, without feeling greasy.
- CHI Argan Oil Plus Moringa Oil - argan and moringa, that's a great combination! This oil can really deal with everything that troubles your hair and it also contains UV filters to protect against the sun!
- Schwarzkopf Professional Oil Ultime Argan Finishing Oil - are you having a hard time finding a hair oil that tames your thick, thick or frizzy hair without weighing it down? Here is the solution! Nourishing argan oil with a unique self-evaporation technology that allows the hair to absorb only the optimal amount of oil. So, despite the fact that your hair will receive a really generous dose of nutrition, softness and shine, it will still be light as a feather.
- Balmain Hair Argan Moisturizing Elixir - can't define exactly what is bothering your hair? Do they simply need an overall refresh? This rejuvenating elixir with pure argan oil will give you an instant boost and a soft and healthy look. And as a bonus, your curls will get a divine sensual, sexy scent.
3) Hair Care with Argan Oil
a key ingredient in the Elixir Ultime and Aura Botanica lines.
- Milk_Shake Argan - combines the beneficial effects of bio organic argan oil, silk and rice proteins for immediate hydration and nourishment of all hair types.
- Revlon Professional Orofluido - aromatherapy care that helps to beautify all types of hair through the harmony of 3 precious oils (argan, cypress and linseed) and at the same time transports you to the fascinating world of oriental scents.
- Schwarzkopf Professional Oil Ultime Argan & Barbary - luxurious oil care with argan and prickly pear oil for normal to thick hair and really intensive hydration and nutrition.
- CHI Argan Oil - luxurious hair cosmetics with beneficial Argan and Moringa oils. Rejuvenation and hydration of damaged hair will be visible after the first use.
- Brazil Keratin Argan - the unique combination of argan oil and keratin provides effective care for damaged and dry hair.
- MoroccanOil - if you are a fan of argan oil, let us introduce you to MoroccanOil, a brand that uses this "liquid gold" in all its products.
- Kérastase Aura Botanica - a new generation of natural hair care with hand-harvested argan and coconut oil. It nourishes the dry surface of the hair and at the same time adds softness and lasting shine.
- Korres Argan Oil - another natural hair care with argan oil, which is specially designed for gentle care of colored hair.
So whether your goal is to maintain the quality and health of your hair or do your best to repair damaged, brittle strands, almost everyone should include argan oil in their hair routine.