A curling iron is the best friend of every party hairstyle. On the market there are various types of hair curlers - ceramic, tourmaline, wands, tongs, automatical, smaller, bigger and so on. But which hair curler is the best for you? It's not easy to answer.
Therefore, we have compiled a curling iron guide, which will help you with the selection. After reading the article, you will have the best curling iron, which your curls or waves will love!
1) Curling Surface - Which is the Best for My Hair Type?
When choosing a curling iron, it is important to pay attention to the choice of material. Each material is suitable for another type of hair.
- consistent temperature throughout the barrel - essential for a smooth glide
- very fast heating
- golden mean for all hair types
- releases negative ions that smoothes the hair's cuticle, eliminates frizz, and makes it appear smooth and shiny.
- achieves a professional result during low temperatures
- the best choice for fine hair
- the most lightweight and most durable material
- fast and uniform heating - achives the highest temperatures
- high-efficient - curling even the coarsest hair very quickly and easily
- ideal surface for thick, coarse or unruly hair
- the best choice for professional use - thanks to lighter weight and material durability
2) Type of Hair Curler - Tongs, Wands or Other Type?
It is very important to choose the right type of a curling iron, because it affects the results of curling.
- thank to a spring-loaded clamp it is easier for use
- create uniform curls - over the entire hair lenght
- less the naturally shaped waves and a spring-loaded grip can damage ends could be disadvantages
- without a clamp - you have to manually curl your hair around the wand
- it doesn't leave a crease or kink
- create more natural and more beautiful curls without breakage or split ends
- curling is more difficult, requires practice
Exist in two shapes:
- Conical - creates the most natural waves - larger waves at the roots and smaller curls at the ends
- Eliptical - creates uniform curls - over the entire hair lenght
- a special type of curling iron with an automactic swiveling of hair
- easy to handle and very fast hair curling with a wonderful result that lasts longer
- more expensive, offerign brand BaByliss Pro and CHI
- special hair curler for creating finger waves
- very easy handling, the best for longer hair
- this wavers offer label.m and BaByliss Pro
3) Size of Curlers Barrel - Size Matters!
Each barrel size produces a different kind of curl.
Smaller barrel (to 19 mm)
- This size works better with thin, short and medium hair.
- It creates smaller curls, ideal for coiled, spiral locks, a perm look or orkscrew curls.
- For example Chi Dura Curler 3/4 or Paul Mitchell Neuro Unclipped Small.
Bigger barrel (over 19 mm)
- The most popular size for women with thick and longer hair. But it can also be used on short or medium hair to add volume.
- It is perfect for creating more natural, larger, softer waves and voluminous curls.
- With 38 mm barrel, you create very popular messy beach and boho waves (e.g. label.m Advanced Pro Curling Tong) or Victoria's Secret curls (e.g. ghd Curve Classic Wave Wand).
Glamot Tip - The best curler size for a novice is 25 mm (e.g. BaByliss PRO Digital Iron Spring). This size is very universal - allows many kinds of curls for any length of hair.
4) Temperature Settings - Don't Damage Your Hair!
Choose a curling iron with adjustable heat setting. Because, different hair types need different heat settings. Thick hair can stand higher temperature while thin hair needs much lower temperatures to prevent damage.
Many curling irons have adjustable temperature today, the best are with a LCD display.
Recommended temperature settings
- max 150°C - thin, very porous or damaged hair
- max 170°C - permed, porous, fine hair
- max 200°C - normal hair
- max 240°C - strong, resistant, thick or unruly hair
5) More tips & Advices - Don't Underestimate the Trivia!
Friendly to use - for example: sufficiently long swivel cord (min 2 metres), adjustable temperature for each hair types, ergonomic design, and so on.
Heat up - the most hair straightnes are ready to use in 30 seconds.
Heat protective case - to safely cover hot plates and also perfect for travelling. Can be purchased separately - eg. ghd Curve Heat Protection Case or Holster is a pocket for storing hot styling tools and other tools.
Sleep mode - heaters automatically switch off if they are not used for 30 minutes.
TOP 3 Best Curling Irons
- BaByliss PRO MiraCurl SteamTech - the best hair curler of our clients.
- Wella Professionals Pro Curl Conical - the most desired by professionals.
- BaByliss PRO Conical Iron - the best price/quality ratio.
Special tip! Paul Mitchell Express Ion Unclipped 3-in-1 Curling Iron - 1 hair curler 3 different curls/waves