What is the difference between ceramic, tourmaline or titanium iron? What is the advantage ionic straightener or steam straightener? Learn more!
In the market there are various types of hair straighteners and it is very difficult to choose the best hair straightener for your hair. Therefore, we have prepared a few tips and advice how to choose the right hair straightener, which will be tailoredto your hair!
Before buying it is very important to realize that different kinds of flat irons can make different sorts of effect. Of course, their primary function is to straighten hair, but they can also wave it and curl it, depending on how you use them.
Material of a Hair Iron?
- Ceramic plates are the most common. The ceramic technology allows to warm up very quickly (within 10 seconds) and ensure even heat distribution. A golden mean for all hair types.
- Tourmamline plates radiate negative ions and infrared heat, which keep moisture and shine in hair. Also they protect against frizz. With tourmaline you achieve a good effect even at a lower temperature. Therefore tourmaline flat irons are the best for fine, thin and damaged hair.
- Titanium plates are lighter, the most durable and achieve the highest temperatures. They are highly efficient - the hair is straightened after the first pass! The titanium technology allows titanium hair irons to heat up faster than ceramic hair irons. Titanium also has ionic charge, which helps you to make get your hair look smooth quickly and without undesirable burning. Titanium flat irons are the best for thick and coarse hair.
Size of Plates
Narrow plates - are ideal for shorter hair and for create waves. Small hair irons are also perfect for styling bangs and spikes, and they are great for travelling. The most favourite hair straightener for travelling is the BaByliss PRO Babysleek Mini Pro Straightener.
Classic plates - are the most versatile. These irons are suitable for all hair types and hair lengths. They are usually in a rounded design, which is great to create waves.
Wide plates - have a bigger ironing and are a good choice for individuals with long or thick hair.
Shape of Straightener
Flat shape - is not good to create beautiful waves or curls.
Rounded shape - can also be used as a hair curling iron and you can create kinks in your hair. For example with the Kardashian Beauty 3-in-1 Hairstyling Iron Log you can achieve exactly the same effect as with the curling.
Crimped hair iron - forms a special category. Crimped irons are especially popular to supply a volume to hair and make a trendy, special hairstyle.
IKOO e-styler - is a new innovative solutions to ensure a smooth and sleek hairstyle. The E-styler combines the functions of straightening and brushing - this revolutionary concept, reduces preparation time by 50%!
Why to Bet on Steam Iron or Function of Ionization?
Ionic irons - radiate negative ions which prevent frizz. They close hair cuticles and hair is therefore better hydrated, shinier and more protected from damage. These hair irons are great for frizzy hair.
Steam function - is more friendly to hair fiber - has a salutary effect on hair, therefore, hair straighteners with steam are more suitable for fine or brittle hair. Their disadvantage is a higher price but the result is definitely worth the money. One affordable model is e.g. BIOIONIC Agave Healing Vapor Iron.
The special hair straightener Redken Pro Restorative Hair Treatment Tool is brand new and is designed for a salon treatment cure.
What Temperature Setting is the Best for my Hair Type?
Temperature adjustment is very important! Flat irons with adjustable temperature allow you to select the right heat for your hair type and style.
Temperature according to hair type:
- Very fragile, brittle and weak hair: 100°C - 140°C
- Fine hair: 140°C – 160°C
- Normal hair: 160°C – 180°C
- Thick hair: 180°C – 240°C
Friendly to use - for example: sufficiently long swivel cord (min 2 metres), adjustable temperature for more style, ergonomic design, and so on.
Heat up - the most hair straightnes are ready to use in 30 seconds.
Heat protective case - to safely cover hot plates and also perfect for travelling. Can be purchased separately - eg. ghd Curve Heat Protection Case or Holster is a pocket for storing hot styling tools and other tools.
Sleep mode - heaters automatically switch off if they are not used for 30 minutes.
Price of Hair Straighteners
Cheap flat irons are usually equipped with a metal plates that is not suitable for any heat styling! These cheap irons can severely damage your hair and the way to healthy hair is not always easy.
The price of quality hair irons range from € 40 to € 250 and more. Professional hairdressers and stylists usually reach for the more expensive pieces, which have a longer life and are designed for more frequent use. But for home the price of a perfect hair straightener starts at € 40.